Saturday, November 15, 2008

Ooh I got one already!!




I just started this blog less than an hour ago and I've already found something interesting courtesy of Yahoo! (article link at the bottom). 
Um...so tell me if this isn't pathetic: a Michael Vick update

Apparently, the former $15 million a year Atlanta Falcons' quarterback is slumming it like the rest of us after his very PUBLIC dog fighting scandal. Needless to say, his life blows now. Stuck behind bars at a Kansas prison, he actually has to worry about dropping the soap instead of dropping the football. He's in mounds of debt and no football team is even hinting at the idea of hiring him when he's released mid to late 2009. Ah what a shame. If only we all had been given the opportunity of a lifetime to become a super awesome celebrity, have little kids call you their hero, get overpaid for throwing pigskin, and then screw it up. Honestly, I can't say I feel sorry for the guy. I've heard countless debates on the issue and here are some of the arguments:

1) It's cause he's black: Heard this one time and time again. It's a favorite among a lot of the guys I know. According to them, it's all one big conspiracy and if it had been any other fair-skinned athlete, he would never have gone to prison. 

2) Animals need love too: This argument is usually paraded by the PETA crowd and such who often equate animal cruelty to crimes against humans. The dogs were in pretty bad shape and Vick seemed to care less about them. They wanted the harshest punishment allowed by the law.

3) Wait, don't dogs fight anyway: I'll admit that I was in this pool when the big fiasco first erupted. A lot of people didn't see why it was such a big deal because animals fight all the time. There was a lot more to the story than that. 

The story had died down, but then people started asking what the hell ever happened to that dog killer guy. To be honest, I only remembered that Michael Vick was in prison because it came up in a sports discussion among my brothers. I'm not shedding tears over him. If he never gets his career back then maybe he and other people will realize that there ARE consequences for your actions no matter how immediate or delayed. Vick better hope his stigma doesn't stick.

source: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-timdahlberg-111508&prov=ap&type=lgns

No comments: